A Health and Social Sciences Research Institute established in South Sudan
On 15th April 2021, a group of South Sudanese clinicians and academics met in Juba South Sudan. They identified the need for organized Research in South Sudan and agreed to form a Health and Social Sciences Research Institute of South Sudan (HSSRI-SS).
Members of HSSRI-SS (credit Brian Madison)
This body was registered in Juba on 23rd Aug 2021 as a professional, not-for-profit, non-sectarian and non-political body to promote research in Health and the Social Sciences.
Its main aims are to:
- Build research capacity in South Sudan,
- Embed research in clinical practice, university departments and other higher institutions of learning,
- Harness the talents of young and enthusiastic South Sudanese in the field of Research,
- Conduct baseline research at community and hospital (facility) level with the aim of identifying cost effective modes of managing and preventing common conditions in the country,
- Disseminate relevant research findings in Health and Social Sciences to enable the implementation of evidence-based findings in health service delivery and social care strategies,
- Provide an outlet for South Sudanese professionals to showcase their research findings in international fora including publications in established global journals,
- Forge collaboration with similar organizations/institutes in the region, other parts of Africa and the rest of the World,
- Raise funding for research activities to sustain the Institute.
The Institute pledges to undertake multi-Centre international studies involving drug trials and the treatment of common globally challenging conditions such as malaria, HIV/AIDS, COVID-19 and the neglected tropical conditions to generate adequate and reliable data to inform treatment and prevention guidelines/protocols, policies, strategies and decisions at various levels of governance.
The interim Executive Committee of the Institute consist of the following:
- Chairman: Dr. Justin Bruno Tongun
- Secretary: Dr. Brian Billy Berto Madison
- Treasurer: Dr. Gasim Omer El Khalifa Abd-Elfarag and Mrs. Clara Stephen Guya Lumori
The current membership stands at 15 individuals of both genders.
Any organization or individuals who wish to collaborate with the HSSRI-SS may contact the Chairman on email [email protected].
The website of the Institute in currently under development.